Today is Thanksgiving in the USA, we wanted to unravel a few facts for those not in the know..
Thanksgiving is not celebrated by us Brits but the World’s most powerful nation stops work and eats on the fourth Thursday in November each year, we thought we’d unravel a few facts about Thanksgiving Day.
1. The first Thanksgiving celebration can be traced back to the Plymouth Pilgrims in the fall of 1621.
2. The Mayflower launched from Plymouth with 102 passengers, 46 of which died during the first winter.
3. Thanksgiving was started by English Separatists arriving on the ship the Mayflower.
4. Thanksgiving Day is celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November in the United States and on the 2nd Monday of October in Canada.
5. The first Thanksgiving celebration lasted three days.
6. 45 million turkeys are eaten each Thanksgiving.
7. Over 306 million Kilos (675m pounds) of turkey are eaten each Thanksgiving in the United States.
8. Only male turkeys gobble. Females make a clicking noise.
9. The average person consumes 4,500 calories on Thanksgiving Day.
Sounds like Christmas to us..!