In the current financial climate many of us could be excused for trying to avoid paying the bills.
Unfortunately, as those scary adverts on TV tell us, the £142.50 annual TV licence bill is one that is hard to escape.
That hasn’t seemed to stop people caught without a TV licence coming up with some crazy, impressive and down right amusing excuses to try and avoid shelling out though.
The TV Licensing Agency has compiled a list of the excuses collected from the 280,000 people who were caught without a TV license this year.
Here is a list of the Daily Dust’s top 10 excuses:
10. “I can’t afford it. I have to pay my subscription for cable TV.”
9. “My husband has just spent £3,000 on this massive flatscreen digital TV so we can’t possibly afford a licence.”
8. “I haven’t renewed my licence because my wife flushed it down the toilet, along with my wallet.”
7. “The subtitles on my TV are set to French so I’m not paying a UK tax for something I can’t read.”
6. “My wife has her hair done twice a week, so we find it difficult to pay.”
5. “I have not been making payments because a baby magpie flew in to my house and I have had to stay in to feed it.”
4. One man said he forgot to pay as his girlfriend had hit him over the head with a hammer.
3. “I couldn’t make my last payment as my baby was sick on my shoulder and I didn’t want to go to the shop smelling of sick because the guy I fancy works there.”
2. “My dog watches it while I’m at work to keep him company – not me.”
And our personal favourite:
1. A woman claimed to a TV Licensing officer that she did not have a TV, even though he could see one behind her in the corner of the room. When he asked her about it she exclaimed “Oh, that one…it’s broken.”. He told her that there was a red light on the bottom. She replied “Oh, that wee red light, I just keep that on as it keeps the damp from getting into it.”